February 23, 2021
OKR Framework for Engineering: Important OKR Examples
Do you want to utilize a powerful tool for effective goal setting and performance management? Some of the leading industry players like Google, Intel, Netflix, LinkedIn, and others have adopted Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) in their everyday work-life. It is a myth to say that organizations that are larger in size and have thousands of employees can only use OKR framework. On the contrary, any organization, whether small or big, can implement OKRs at the individual as well as team level- be it Sales, Engineering, HR, Operations, and so on. Implementing effective OKRs enables organizations to consistently focus on priorities, create the right alignment towards shared goals, establish the right rhythm, and achieve the right outcomes that ultimately drive growth and success.
Also Read: Unlocking the Potential of OKR Framework
The objectives and key results framework serve differently for every industry, and engineering is no exception. When used effectively, OKRs help businesses to define shared objectives and drive expected results that help to grow and succeed. Let us explore various OKR examples for teams within an engineering organization-
Objective 1: Build a high-performing team in 2021
Key Result 1: Hire 15 new engineers by end of Q1
Key Result 2: Create and agree upon performance metrics for all employees
Key Result 3: Improve skills sets of employees through coding events and other training session
The objective of building a high-performing team is common for every business vertical. What is different for the engineering department are the key results. By hiring new engineers within the team and creating performance metrics based on individual contributions defines the overall progress of the team as well as the organization. Another key result includes boosting employee skills through company-wide training programs and coding events that enable engineers to remain at the par with the latest technology.
Objective 1: Boost efficacy of QA processes by end of Q2
Key Result 1: Surge in unit test coverage from 55% to 80%
Key Result 2: Boost QA processes before a release
Key Result 3: Reduce bugs in production from 3 to 1 per release
Another example of engineering OKRs includes an objective to increase the efficiency of Quality Assurance processes by the end of a quarter. One key result might include the improvement in QA processes to ensure a successful product release. Another key result might be to increase unit test coverage to 80% and reduce bugs in production for a successful run of the application and reduce the chance of production failure.
Objective 1: Improve system reliability
Key Result 1: Deploy modern software and tools to raise productivity by 20%
Key Result 2: Provide training on software configurations and system utility
Key Result 3: Decrease failure rates during peak hours by 80%
To enhance overall system consistency, engineering teams utilize the OKR framework to drive optimal business outcomes. To meet this goal, teams must utilize the latest tools and software to enhance productivity by 20%. Another key result can be to deliver relevant training on system configurations and software deployment so that teams become more efficient and the chances of errors reduce by almost 80% or so.
The above are some of the objectives and key results examples for engineering teams. So, when an engineering organization implements the OKR framework, it allows everyone to focus on a shared set of goals, prioritize their time and effort, focus on outcomes rather than input, and ultimately improve operational efficiency and QA processes.
Are you looking for a simple OKR tool that can unlock performance and business excellence for different industry including Engineering, other industries? If yes, then Unlock:OKR can be a perfect choice! Based on the key pillars- Focus, Alignment, Rhythm, Prioritization, Results, and Execution, Unlock:OKR enables every business vertical to set clear objectives and measure success by achieving intended outcomes. To know more, you can Request a Demo.
Reserve your First Class Seat
First Class seats are limited! Register today to secure benefits that will not be available to the general population.